Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Acorn Hedgehogs: An Autumn Nature Craft

Hedgehog, 2011, made by my 8-year-old

Last fall, my daughter and I created some miniature hedgehogs out of acorns.  Though the wood glue made them fairly durable, they were not indestructible.  So this month we started to make more.


Materials used:
  • Acorns with tops removed = body
  • Long prickly seeds (from weeds or marigolds) = spines
  • Wood glue
  • Lentils = feet
  • Black sesame seeds (or draw dots with a permanent marker) = eyes

Tip:  The prickly seeds and lentils are a little tricky to stick on properly.  Try letting the wood glue get half-way dry (until tacky) and then attach the seeds.

At first I called these critters porcupines, but after looking at some photos of the real animals, I thought hedgehogs were better (and cuter).  What do you think?  Would you call these hedgehogs or porcupines?

3 comments:

RedTedArt said...

I think your hedgehog is ADORABLE! I love it. So cute!

Thank you for taking part in Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Justine said...

This is so cute!

Anonymous said...

adorable, and so resourceful! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!